This week we reached a dramatic stage in the Breakfast Room Project at Osterley. The post 1950 paper and Hessian lining were removed and the walls were taken back to the eighteenth century plaster.
All of this work was done in front of visitors who shared in the excitement.
Detailed analysis of the findings will be undertaken over the next few weeks but highlights include:
- The discovery of a door frame – remnants of a door which once connected the Breakfast Room with the Library Passage behind.
- Holes made by the fixings for a picture rail which once ran around the outside of this room.
- ‘Graffiti’ on the south wall.
NEXT STEPS: The room will be entirely cleared of its furniture and a group of experts will be invited to examine the evidence. This will consist of architectural historians, Robert Adam specialists, furniture conservators, curators and the NT advisors on Plaster and on Historic Interior Decoration – amongst others.